View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
apogarteOffline
12 Post subject: sharing Xfce4 experience and knowledge  PostPosted: 17.08.2011, 21:24

hi

i would like to start a thread for sharing our experience of xfce4 : problems encountered, solutions, evolution, how-tos, etc.

this is an apetizer i'll try to complete progressively following this line : aptosid based systems, any architecture.

first : no thumbnail preview in thunar after install : you have to install the package 'tumbler' with apt-get as root :

#apt-get install tumbler

second : how to get a transparent (or semi-transparent) background for icon's text on Desktop ?

create the '.gtkrc-2.0' file in your home, containing the following :
      Quote:

style "xfdesktop-icon-view" {
XfdesktopIconView::label-alpha = 0

base[NORMAL] = "#ffffff"
base[SELECTED] = "#9c9c9c"
base[ACTIVE] = "#ffffff"

fg[NORMAL] = "#ffffff"
fg[SELECTED] = "#000000"
fg[ACTIVE] = "#000000"
}
widget_class "*XfdesktopIconView*" style "xfdesktop-icon-view"

with alpha between 0 and 128

to be followed,

apoG.

Reply with quote Back to top
apogarteOffline
Post subject: RE: sharing Xfce4 experience and knowledge  PostPosted: 26.01.2013, 09:40

hi

that's funny that nobody ever gave an answer to this thread, while 1399 read it !!!

this leads me to wonder if nobody ever get a hand in the xfce4
desktop environment ???

so, just in case i'm wrong : how about installing xfce4.10 on latest aptosid xfce4 version (thanatos) ???

i say hello to myself , ha ha ha !!!

apog

CarnophageOffline
Post subject: RE: sharing Xfce4 experience and knowledge  PostPosted: 26.01.2013, 10:01

I have 4.10 for some time now, no real issues spotted yet.
Xfce4-terminal from experimental is a killer with the new drop-down feature (bye bye tilda).
New thunar is so much more usable in folders with lots of files.
Wink

apogarteOffline
23 Post subject: RE: sharing Xfce4 experience and knowledge  PostPosted: 27.01.2013, 12:37

hi Carnophage

thanks for replying this post, could you give more details on how you got 4.10 installed ? did you updated over 4.8 or did you removed/reinstalled ? from where did you downloaded the 4.10 packets ? Did you add any supplementary depot/stuf ? how about the configuration ? i'm still having to make a ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file to get dektop icons text background transparent ... normal ? still unable to get a single clic on the desktop ? thanks for your feedback ! Razz

apogarte

CarnophageOffline
Post subject: RE: sharing Xfce4 experience and knowledge  PostPosted: 27.01.2013, 23:22

I used a repository prepared by the authors of the aptosid's fork Wink You will easily find info about it on their pages, of course it's not supported by aptosid's devs.

As for the desktop icons, I won't be of much help, as for years now, I have all the desktop icons disabled.

Jump to: