View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
detaosOffline
8 Post subject: Transition to KDE 4.10  PostPosted: 11.07.2013, 18:20
Team Member

The mail announcement for the first parts of KDE 4.10 landing in sid has just been made:

http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-qt-k ... 45075.html

As with every major transition, it will take several days for all of the parts to make it to your mirror. It is highly recommended to wait until all parts have been uploaded before upgrading.

Sid rolls on!

Reply with quote Back to top
snvvOffline
Post subject: RE: Transition to KDE 4.10  PostPosted: 12.07.2013, 17:41

Strange, but the morning I had a dozens packages to be removed.I postponed the upgrade and the evening i got the following
      Code:
Fetched 4,225 B in 3s (1,076 B/s)
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Failed
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 plasma-desktop : Depends: plasma-widgets-workspace (= 4:4.10.5-1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
Building dependency tree       
Calculating upgrade... Failed
 plasma-desktop : Depends: plasma-widgets-workspace (= 4:4.10.5-1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

No packages are held

vinurOffline
Post subject: RE: Transition to KDE 4.10  PostPosted: 12.07.2013, 18:06

I saw in the upgrade process, apt-get generated a warning today, ... resolve generates breaks...
Then I decided to leave without an upgrade to check out the warnings here:
detaos says "As with every major transition, it will take several days for all of the parts to make it to your mirror. It is highly recommended to wait until all parts have been uploaded before upgrading."
Sounds like good advice. Cool

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Transition to KDE 4.10  PostPosted: 14.07.2013, 01:52

While it is a bit too early to give green lights, the biggests parts of the transition should be over by now.

Keep in mind that your particular mirror/ architecture might lag behind a bit, so take care what might be up for removal and if you might still need it!

Another aspect of the transition that isn't completely finished yet, is migrating to kdepim2! kdepim2 brings with it major changes in how your mail is treated, moving more and more to aKonadi for indexing and storage. Be aware that kdepim1 and KDE 4.10.x are not coexisting happily either, so kdepim2 comes along with KDE 4.10.x. Not all aspects of kdepim2 are necessarily reliable already and especially the migration might leave a lot to be desired (filtering rules and similar might not necessarily migrate at all), so do keep backups of your mail and mail configuration.

As usual for migrations of essential components of X.org or the desktop environment you're running, it's essential to do the dist-upgrade from the tty, while the desktop environment is not running.

BarlafussOffline
Post subject: RE: Transition to KDE 4.10  PostPosted: 14.07.2013, 08:51

Thanks for the update slh.
I believe I can still wait some days to avoid unwanted issue.

Have a nice Sunday,
Barlafuss

phileomOffline
Post subject: RE: Transition to KDE 4.10  PostPosted: 14.07.2013, 10:03

All is fine here on AMD64. Some Kdewallet password issues with Kmail 2, nothing serious.

burkhardOffline
Post subject: RE: Transition to KDE 4.10  PostPosted: 14.07.2013, 10:50

I was very pleased getting the new KDE version, for my Plasma desktop was very slow working with mesa 9.1, KDE 4.9 (or was it 4.8?) and nouveau graphics combined with an GeForce 210 card. Even switching off the OpenGL-2-shader did not help. With Plasma-Effects on glxgears showed me a rate of less than 400 FPS. When swiching effects off, the frame rate raised until 900 FPS.

After updating KDE to version 4.10 everything works fine now, glxgears shows now more than 900 FPS either with or without effects.

Great thanks

Burkhard

finottiOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Transition to KDE 4.10  PostPosted: 16.07.2013, 20:25

slh wrote:
While it is a bit too early to give green lights, the biggests parts of the transition should be over by now.

Keep in mind that your particular mirror/ architecture might lag behind a bit, so take care what might be up for removal and if you might still need it!

Another aspect of the transition that isn't completely finished yet, is migrating to kdepim2! kdepim2 brings with it major changes in how your mail is treated, moving more and more to aKonadi for indexing and storage. Be aware that kdepim1 and KDE 4.10.x are not coexisting happily either, so kdepim2 comes along with KDE 4.10.x. Not all aspects of kdepim2 are necessarily reliable already and especially the migration might leave a lot to be desired (filtering rules and similar might not necessarily migrate at all), so do keep backups of your mail and mail configuration.

As usual for migrations of essential components of X.org or the desktop environment you're running, it's essential to do the dist-upgrade from the tty, while the desktop environment is not running.

Does this kdepim issue affect KAlarm? I've just upgraded and KAlarm is not working anymore. I get the message:
      Code:

The Akonadi personal information management service is not opperational.

I put a log file here: http://www.math.utk.edu/~finotti/misc/akonadi-selftest-report-20130716.txt

It seems that is complaining about MySQL not being installed... Shouldn't APT take care of it if it is a dependency?

Thanks,

Luis

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Transition to KDE 4.10  PostPosted: 16.07.2013, 20:39

aKonadi can make use of several different backends, MySQL (preferred by KDE Upstream), sqlite3 or PostgreSQL. We preinstall (and preconfigure) akonadi-backend-sqlite for several (important) reasons, while upstream KDE and Debian tend to prefer akonadi-backend-mysql; a properly configured aKonadi can deal with either of these options.

akonadi-server in Debian has an alternative dependency on: akonadi-backend-mysql | akonadi-backend-sqlite | akonadi-backend-postgresql

For me personally, aKonadi is working fine with akonadi-backend-sqlite before- and after the upgrade, but I'm not using KAlarm myself.

bmorencyOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Transition to KDE 4.10  PostPosted: 17.07.2013, 03:12

I think all the packages have been uploaded to my mirror as nothing wants to be removed but before I do actually upgrade everything it says 457 megabytes are going to be freed after the upgarde. Does that seem right to everyone?

Thanks.

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Transition to KDE 4.10  PostPosted: 17.07.2013, 03:30

Not really.

It's not totally impossible, if there are conflicting libraries or qt3 packages finally being squeezed out, but that would show as package removals - and ~460 MB is quite a bit more than likely caused by something like that, it's more likely to see it wanting to ~100 MB more than before.

Do check apt's output again, packages to be removed are on top of its output and easily scroll out of the screen area.

drbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 17.07.2013, 08:41

I let two packages go and 47MB were freed from the total dist-upgrade

finottiOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Transition to KDE 4.10  PostPosted: 17.07.2013, 12:31

slh wrote:
aKonadi can make use of several different backends, MySQL (preferred by KDE Upstream), sqlite3 or PostgreSQL. We preinstall (and preconfigure) akonadi-backend-sqlite for several (important) reasons, while upstream KDE and Debian tend to prefer akonadi-backend-mysql; a properly configured aKonadi can deal with either of these options.

akonadi-server in Debian has an alternative dependency on: akonadi-backend-mysql | akonadi-backend-sqlite | akonadi-backend-postgresql

For me personally, aKonadi is working fine with akonadi-backend-sqlite before- and after the upgrade, but I'm not using KAlarm myself.

Thanks slh for pointing me in the right direction. I don't remember ever changing to MySQL, but anyway, here is what worked for me.

I changed ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc from

Code:

[%General]
Driver=QMYSQL
SizeThreshold=4096
ExternalPayload=false

[QMYSQL]
Name=akonadi
Host=
User=
Password=
Options="UNIX_SOCKET=/home/finotti/.local/share/akonadi/socket-t510/mysql.socket"
ServerPath=/usr/sbin/mysqld
StartServer=true

[Debug]
Tracer=null

to

Code:

[%General]
Driver=QSQLITE3

[QSQLITE3]
Name=/home/finotti/.local/share/akonadi/akonadi.db

[Debug]
Tracer=null

[QMYSQL]
Name=akonadi
Host=
User=
Password=
Options="UNIX_SOCKET=/home/finotti/.local/share/akonadi/socket-t510/mysql.socket"
ServerPath=/usr/sbin/mysqld
StartServer=true

Now KAlarm is working fine. Thanks for the help!

Luis

bmorencyOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Transition to KDE 4.10  PostPosted: 17.07.2013, 22:53

slh wrote:

Do check apt's output again, packages to be removed are on top of its output and easily scroll out of the screen area.

The wierd thing is that when I check apt's output there is nothing being removed. Below is the output when I run apt-get dist-upgrade.

Does it look ok to run the dist-upgrade?

Code:
apt-get dist-upgrade
Building dependency tree       
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  kio-audiocd libakonadi-calendar4 libakonadi-notes4 libcalendarsupport4 libeventviews4
  libfluidsynth1 libgrantlee-core0 libgrantlee-gui0 libincidenceeditorsng4
  libkactivities-models1 libkalarmcal2 libkcompactdisc4 libkdecorations4abi1
  libkdepimdbusinterfaces4 libkdgantt2-0 libkexiv2-11 libkipi10 libkmanagesieve4 libkmbox4
  libksieveui4 libkwineffects1abi4 libkwinglutils1abi1 libkworkspace4abi2 libkxmlrpcclient4
  libmailcommon4 libmailimporter4 libmarblewidget15 libmessagecomposer4 libmessageviewer4
  libmusicbrainz5-0 libnepomukcore4 libnepomukwidgets4 libokularcore2 libpimcommon4
  libpython3.3-minimal libpython3.3-stdlib libqoauth1 libtelepathy-qt4-2 libtemplateparser4
  libxcb-damage0 linux-headers-3.10-1.slh.1-aptosid-amd64
  linux-image-3.10-1.slh.1-aptosid-amd64 nepomuk-core-data nepomuk-core-runtime python3.3
  python3.3-minimal qtcore4-l10n
The following packages have been kept back:
  grub-common grub-pc grub-pc-bin grub2 grub2-common
The following packages will be upgraded:
  akregator apt apt-utils ark at-spi2-core bsdutils chromium chromium-inspector
  console-setup console-setup-linux cpp-4.7 cpp-4.8 dconf-gsettings-backend dconf-service
  dmakms dmsetup dolphin dragonplayer fonts-opensymbol freespacenotifier g++-4.7 g++-4.8
  gcc-4.7 gcc-4.7-base gcc-4.8 gcc-4.8-base gettext gettext-base ghostscript
  ghostscript-cups ghostscript-x gwenview info init-system-helpers initscripts install-info
  iptables jfsutils juk kaddressbook kamera kate kate-data katepart kbuild kcalc
  kde-baseapps kde-baseapps-bin kde-baseapps-data kde-l10n-de kde-plasma-desktop
  kde-runtime kde-runtime-data kde-runtime-dbg kde-standard kde-style-oxygen
  kde-wallpapers-default kde-window-manager kde-workspace kde-workspace-bin
  kde-workspace-data kde-workspace-dbg kde-workspace-kgreet-plugins kdeartwork-emoticons
  kdebase-apps kdebase-bin kdebase-runtime kdebase-runtime-dbg kdebase-workspace
  kdebase-workspace-bin kdebase-workspace-dbg kdegraphics-libs-data kdelibs-bin
  kdelibs5-data kdelibs5-dbg kdelibs5-plugins kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdepasswd
  kdepim-runtime kdepimlibs-kio-plugins kdeplasma-addons kdm kdoctools
  keyboard-configuration kfind khelpcenter4 klipper kmail kmenuedit kmix knotes konqueror
  konqueror-nsplugins konsole kopete korganizer krdc kscreensaver ksnapshot ksysguard
  ksysguardd kwalletmanager kwrite libakonadi-contact4 libakonadi-kabc4 libakonadi-kcal4
  libakonadi-kde4 libakonadi-kmime4 libapt-inst1.5 libapt-pkg4.12 libasan0 libasound2
  libasound2-data libasprintf-dev libasprintf0c2 libatk-bridge2.0-0 libatomic1
  libatspi2.0-0 libblkid1 libbsd0 libdconf1 libdebian-installer-extra4 libdebian-installer4
  libdevmapper-event1.02.1 libdevmapper1.02.1 libegl1-mesa libexpat1 libgail-3-0 libgbm1
  libgcc-4.7-dev libgcc-4.8-dev libgcc1 libgettextpo-dev libgettextpo0 libgfortran3
  libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental libgl1-mesa-glx libglapi-mesa libglib2.0-0
  libgomp1 libgpgme++2 libgs9 libgs9-common libgssapi-krb5-2 libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0
  libgstreamer1.0-0 libgtk-3-0 libgtk-3-common libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-common libidn11
  libitm1 libk5crypto3 libkabc4 libkactivities-bin libkactivities6 libkateinterfaces4
  libkatepartinterfaces4 libkcal4 libkcalcore4 libkcalutils4 libkcddb4 libkcmutils4
  libkdcraw-data libkde3support4 libkdeclarative5 libkdecore5 libkdepim4 libkdesu5
  libkdeui5 libkdewebkit5 libkdnssd4 libkemoticons4 libkephal4abi1 libkexiv2-data libkfile4
  libkholidays4 libkhtml5 libkidletime4 libkimap4 libkimproxy4 libkio5 libkipi-data
  libkjsapi4 libkjsembed4 libkldap4 libkleo4 libkmediaplayer4 libkmime4 libknewstuff2-4
  libknewstuff3-4 libknotifyconfig4 libkntlm4 libkonq-common libkonq5-templates
  libkonq5abi1 libkonqsidebarplugin4a libkontactinterface4 libkopete4 libkparts4 libkpgp4
  libkpimidentities4 libkpimtextedit4 libkpimutils4 libkprintutils4 libkpty4 libkrb5-3
  libkrb5support0 libkresources4 libkrosscore4 libkrossui4 libksane-data libksane0
  libkscreensaver5 libksgrd4 libksieve4 libksignalplotter4 libktexteditor4 libktnef4
  libkunitconversion4 libkutils4 liblvm2app2.2 libmailtransport4 libmediainfo0
  libmessagecore4 libmessagelist4 libmhash2 libmicroblog4 libmount1 libnepomuk4
  libnepomukquery4a libnepomukutils4 libopencv-calib3d2.3 libopencv-core2.3
  libopencv-features2d2.3 libopencv-flann2.3 libopencv-highgui2.3 libopencv-imgproc2.3
  libopencv-legacy2.3 libopencv-objdetect2.3 libopencv-video2.3
  libplasma-geolocation-interface4 libplasma3 libplasmaclock4abi3 libplasmagenericshell4
  libprocesscore4abi1 libprocessui4a libpth20 libqgpgme1 libqpdf10 libqrencode3 libqt4-dbg
  libqt4-dbus libqt4-declarative libqt4-designer libqt4-help libqt4-network libqt4-opengl
  libqt4-qt3support libqt4-script libqt4-scripttools libqt4-sql libqt4-sql-mysql
  libqt4-sql-sqlite libqt4-svg libqt4-test libqt4-webkit libqt4-xml libqt4-xmlpatterns
  libqtassistantclient4 libqtcore4 libqtdbus4 libqtgui4 libquadmath0 libreoffice-base-core
  libreoffice-calc libreoffice-common libreoffice-core libreoffice-draw
  libreoffice-style-galaxy libreoffice-writer libruby1.8 libsane libsane-common libsasl2-2
  libsasl2-modules libsdl-mixer1.2 libsigsegv2 libsmbclient libsndfile1 libsolid4
  libsolidcontrol4abi2 libsolidcontrolifaces4abi2 libstdc++-4.8-dev libstdc++6
  libstdc++6-4.7-dev libsyndication4 libtaskmanager4abi3 libthreadweaver4 libtsan0
  libusb-1.0-0 libuuid1 libvisio-0.0-0 libvoikko1 libwbclient0 libweather-ion6 libxtables10
  linux-headers-aptosid-amd64 linux-image-aptosid-amd64 linux-libc-dev lvm2 marble-data
  module-assistant mount okular openssh-client openssh-server os-prober oxygen-icon-theme
  plasma-containments-addons plasma-dataengines-addons plasma-dataengines-workspace
  plasma-desktop plasma-desktopthemes-artwork plasma-runners-addons
  plasma-scriptengine-javascript plasma-wallpapers-addons plasma-widget-folderview
  plasma-widget-lancelot plasma-widgets-addons plasma-widgets-workspace python-gi
  python-gobject python-sip python3 python3-minimal qdbus resolvconf rsyslog ruby1.8 samba
  samba-common sane-utils smbclient sweeper systemsettings sysv-rc sysvinit sysvinit-utils
  ucf uno-libs3 ure util-linux whois xterm
356 upgraded, 47 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
Need to get 867 MB of archives.
After this operation, 458 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

EcclesiasticOffline
Post subject: Cracked mine....  PostPosted: 18.07.2013, 13:43

As by 19/Jul/2013 dist-upgrade on AMD64 breaks my KDE totally.

As background, I did a dist-upgrade two days ago, which bricked my laptop.
Not sure what the issue was, but trying to revert using pinning was futile.
I can only guess the removal of
the unlucky multimedia repo two month ago may have left some ugly rests cracking things down;
As I never did a proper re-install for years, I used that as a chance to do so.
And so I did.

I got latest aptosid ISO, did a clean re-install and a dist-upgrade and now,
I have exactly the same issue: KDE has broken dependencies.
I'm using temporary Gnome, which is pain in the a** but any attempt of bringing KDE back brings the same error:

Code:

kde-full : Depends: kde-plasma-desktop (>= 5:80) but it is not going to be installed
            Depends: kde-plasma-netbook (>= 5:80) but it is not going to be installed
            Depends: kdeartwork (>= 4:4.8.4) but it is not going to be installed
            Depends: kdemultimedia (>= 4:4.8.4) but it is not going to be installed
            Depends: kdenetwork (>= 4:4.8.4) but it is not going to be installed
            Depends: kdepim (>= 4:4.4.11) but it is not going to be installed
            Depends: kdeplasma-addons (>= 4:4.8.4) but it is not going to be installed

In other words, the re-install was a waste of time.
Yes, I have not read the forum prior to upgrade, my bad.
I understand, I really hit an unlucky timing. However, I'm just asking myself one single question:

Why it doesn't even work on a clean, unmodified new install?

Really, this is not cool, not at all.

Jump to: