View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jheaton5Offline
Post subject: [SOLVED] No initial backlight on Intel Integrated Graphics  PostPosted: 06.01.2012, 16:41

Does anyone have any experience with the intel hd 2000/hd 3000 integrated graphics set up? I'm having driver issues but I only have squeeze installed with the xserver-xorg-video-intel 2.17 driver from squeeze-backports. Research tells me that the Sandy Bridge issues are resolved in the 3.1 kernel. I am going to install aptosid on the bugger and hope that all is well. Any one have any advice?

Last edited by jheaton5 on 22.06.2012, 12:16; edited 3 times in total

Reply with quote Back to top
bfreeOffline
Post subject: RE: Intel Sandy Bridge Integrated Graphics  PostPosted: 06.01.2012, 19:16
Team Member

I've been using a hd3000 day-to-day now with aptosid on my primary machine for I think nearly 8 months.

I had the odd 3d issue initially where some games would fairly randomly take out X. I don't think that's happened with 3.1 but I play them rarely enough I just might have got lucky (I only really installed them for testing). I'm pretty sure 3.2 has done more to improve the support for these chips though I've yet to get around do doing a d-u myself to have a look. Regressions and small issues are always possible when things are being actively developed though.

So basically I would say it "just works" with aptosid.

jheaton5Offline
Post subject: RE: Intel Sandy Bridge Integrated Graphics  PostPosted: 06.01.2012, 21:08

Thanks. I'll install aptosid this weekend. What is your maximum resolution?

bfreeOffline
Post subject: RE: Intel Sandy Bridge Integrated Graphics  PostPosted: 06.01.2012, 21:20
Team Member

No idea, I just use it with a 1920x1080 "TV" via hdmi.

jheaton5Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 07.01.2012, 15:08

No matter, 1920x1080 is what I'm looking for but am only getting 1280x1024.

Also, I did install aptosid and got a blank screen on boot. I went back to squeeze with a minimal install and upgraded to debian sid. I installed lxde which pulled in xserver. I still get the blank screen with any kernel newer than 2.6.32.

Google tells me nothing. But it's got to be something simple I'm overlooking.

Edit: I know the smxi scripts are anathema here, but I get this from inxi:
      Code:
jheaton5@aragorn:~$ inxi -F
Resuming in non X mode: glxinfo not found. For package install advice run: inxi --recommends
System:    Host: aragorn Kernel: 2.6.32-5-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop LXDE (Openbox 3.5.0) Distro: Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid
Machine:   System: Dell product: Inspiron One 2320 version: 00
           Mobo: Dell model: 0DMNCP version: A00 Bios: Dell version: A04 date: 10/13/2011
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium CPU G620 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx)
           Clock Speeds: 1: 2594.167 MHz 2: 2594.167 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
           X.org: 1.11.2.902 drivers: vesa,intel (unloaded: fbdev) Resolution: 180x73
Audio:     Card: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: HDA Intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.21
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:21:70:64:6e:fe
           Card-2: Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath9k
           IF: wlan0 state: down mac: e4:d5:3d:73:43:47
           Card-3: Atheros
           IF: N/A state: N/A speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: N/A
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (-) 1: /dev/sda ST3500413AS 500.1GB
Partition: ID: / size: 47G used: 2.7G (6%) fs: rootfs ID: / size: 47G used: 2.7G (6%) fs: ext3
           ID: swap-1 size: 2.17GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Sensors:   Error: You do not have the sensors app installed.
Info:      Processes: 111 Uptime: 10 min Memory: 223.1/3874.1MB Runlevel: 2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.27

bfreeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 07.01.2012, 15:22
Team Member

Well I can only make wild guesses (looking at your Xorg logs might offer more clues).

Did aptosid work ok when you booted it live to install it, but then after install it just started "black screening" you? Did you do anything manual, like set anything in xorg.conf or add any cheatcodes?

Do you have multiple video outputs? Do you have more then one connected (or does X think you do)? In other words could X be starting up on the "wrong" output which you don't see?

Perhaps adding information on your hardware (laptop model or desktop motherboard) might also provide a clue to someone.

You were probably "stuck" at 1280x1024 on 2.6.32 thanks to it simply using vesa, that kernel is too old really for these graphics devices.

jheaton5Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 07.01.2012, 16:11

Thank you for your response. Here are my responses to your ideas.
      bfree wrote:
Well I can only make wild guesses (looking at your Xorg logs might offer more clues).

Well, I looked at syslog, but overlooked the Xorg logs. I'll do that.

Quote:
Did aptosid work ok when you booted it live to install it, but then after install it just started "black screening" you? Did you do anything manual, like set anything in xorg.conf or add any cheatcodes?

On the live CD, I got the opening menu, but then got a blank screen when I selected aptosid. I erred when I stated that I installed aptosid. I booted the live DVD on another machine with Nvidia graphics and had no trouble. I have not made any manual adjustments because I can't find a clue as to what to adjust.

Quote:
Do you have multiple video outputs? Do you have more then one connected (or does X think you do)? In other words could X be starting up on the "wrong" output which you don't see?

There is a standard external monitor jack. I have an old monitor that I will connect and see what the results are.

Quote:
Perhaps adding information on your hardware (laptop model or desktop motherboard) might also provide a clue to someone.

The computer is a Dell Inspiron One 2323. The CPU and Screen are in the same box.

Quote:
You were probably "stuck" at 1280x1024 on 2.6.32 thanks to it simply using vesa, that kernel is too old really for these graphics devices.

Yes, I understand that. I know I need a 3.1 or higher kernel to use the graphics device. I had the same issue with the squeeze-backports kernel 2.6.38-bpo.

bfreeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 07.01.2012, 18:26
Team Member

jheaton5 wrote:

On the live CD, I got the opening menu

Was that the graphical menu or the grub menu? I'm wondering if some UEFI issues were getting in the way there.
      jheaton5 wrote:

, but then got a blank screen when I selected aptosid.

Did you get the black screen instantly? Or did you see some messages and then it went black?
      jheaton5 wrote:

The computer is a Dell Inspiron One 2323. The CPU and Screen are in the same box.

A quick search turned up nothing by that name for me. Did you make a typo? Maybe you can find a link about it from somewhere?
      jheaton5 wrote:

I know I need a 3.1 or higher kernel to use the graphics device. I had the same issue with the squeeze-backports kernel 2.6.38-bpo.

I think it's working since at least 2.6.37, but you would need more then just the kernel for squeeze (i.e. a newer xorg also).

jheaton5Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 07.01.2012, 19:22

Here is my xorg.log. I found a few errors, but the intel driver and the framebuffer driver were loaded and the last line tells me that the Modeline is what it needs to be.
      bfree wrote:
      jheaton5 wrote:

On the live CD, I got the opening menu

Was that the graphical menu or the grub menu? I'm wondering if some UEFI issues were getting in the way there.
This was the graphical menu. There was no grub menu.
      Quote:
      jheaton5 wrote:

, but then got a blank screen when I selected aptosid.

Did you get the black screen instantly? Or did you see some messages and then it went black?
Instantly.
      Quote:
      jheaton5 wrote:

A quick search turned up nothing by that name for me. Did you make a typo? Maybe you can find a link about it from somewhere?
The generic model is 2320. See it here
      Quote:
      jheaton5 wrote:

I know I need a 3.1 or higher kernel to use the graphics device. I had the same issue with the squeeze-backports kernel 2.6.38-bpo.

I think it's working since at least 2.6.37, but you would need more then just the kernel for squeeze (i.e. a newer xorg also).
Yes, I pulled in the bpo xserver.xorg also.

jheaton5Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 11.01.2012, 19:42

The Xorg.O.log says that the module fbcon is not found. Also fbdev is initially loaded and then unloaded.

I cannot find a source within debian for fbcon.

jheaton5Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 12.01.2012, 11:05

I got xorg to start by replacing "nomodeset" with "i915.modeset=0" in the grub boot line.

fbdev is loading and then unloading. I still cannot get the proper resolution.

towoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 12.01.2012, 12:23

It's a bad idea to deactivate KMS since the intel ddx-driver needs KMS.

jheaton5Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 12.01.2012, 14:09

Thanks, towo, I agree. While it did get my system out of the blank screen it did not fix the framebuffer issue. I'm still doing RTFM, but have not found the solution yet. At least I now can use the computer directly instead of having to ssh into it from another computer.

Is the frame buffer console built in to the slh kernel? See below and here
      Quote:
945GM and 82865G

In my system (HP/Compaq nx7300 with 945GM) enabling of KMS when loading the i915 module caused blank screen (seems not to be related to incorrect mode, rather the system got suspended or hibernated) when booting the system. Problem could be cured by changing of /etc/modprobe.d/i915-kms.conf to options i915 modeset=0. What's interesting, booting with acpi=off also cured the problem. The same problem occured in a desktop system with 82865G (link)

After last (ca. 20th October 2010) update of my debian/testing systems, the xserver-xorg-video-intel stopped to work with i915 modeset set to 0. Therefore the workaround mentioned in the previous point was not applicable any more. Setting of i915 modeset to 1 still caused blank screen, as soon as the i915 module is loaded. After more investigations I've found, that the problem is related to framebuffer console. If KMS is switched on, the framebuffer console support must be selected. In my systems (self compiled kernel without initial ramdisk) I had to to set CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y, CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_ROTATION=y . Maybe with initial ramdisk, compiling it as module would be sufficient, but I've not checked it. Unfortunately the kernel "make menuconfig" doesn't check if the framebuffer console support is selected when CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS is set to "y"

When I get home I'm going to try booting with acpi off.

jheaton5Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 21.01.2012, 15:18

I have installed 3.2 kernel and expected that to resolve my issue. The framebuffer does load and provides a higher resolutiion on boot, but about 30 seconds into the boot it unloads and the screen goes blank.
I have the following error in my kern.log
      Code:
Firmware Bug: ACPI: No _BQC method, cannot determine initial brightness

I suspect now that this is the problem. Research suggests patching the DSDT but I'm not up for rebuilding the kernel.

jheaton5Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 29.01.2012, 13:20

Edit: I changed the title of the thread to more accurately state the issue.

Update:
Some system is looping through brightness settings until it finds the correct one and then the backlight turns on. Whan that occurs, I have 1920x1080 resolution. The time it takes this event to occur varies from a few minutes to a few hours. So, I am leaving my computer on 24/7.

Jump to: