View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
heppOffline
15 Post subject: [solved] snow, pixels and stripes  PostPosted: 14.03.2012, 16:15

Trying to install aptosid 2011-03 on a Lenovo X121e AMD laptop with Windows 7 preinstalled. Im using a usb (created by aptosid on another machine). The laptop is an AMD Radeon HD 6310 and others seem to have succeeded in the linux installation. I have tried the usb on a acer aspire one and there it works fine without setting any boot parameters.

After the boot point "waiting for /dev to be fully populated" the screen is no longer visible because of "pixel snow".

When booting I have selected "e" to edit the boot parameters and then pressing F10 to boot trying the following parameters one at a time:
* vga=791
* vga=844
* vga=0
* screen=1366x768
* nouveau.modeset=0 xmodule=vesa

None of them works (even wonder is the boot parameters are used at all ?).

Anyone has a tip on how I can do this ?

Last edited by hepp on 15.03.2012, 00:06; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
bfreeOffline
Post subject: Re: snow, pixels and stripes  PostPosted: 14.03.2012, 16:43
Team Member

hepp wrote:

* nouveau.modeset=0 xmodule=vesa

nouveau is for NVidia not AMD/Ati. The release notes suggest to try "radeon.modeset=0" and then to install firmware-linux-nonfree to get the firmware for the video card so you won't need this after you have installed.

Another alternative if this doesn't work is to put the radeon firmware files from the above package on the stick in an aptosid/firmware folder and then to add "firmware" to the kernel command line at boot time to have it loaded.

heppOffline
15 Post subject: RE: Re: snow, pixels and stripes  PostPosted: 15.03.2012, 00:06

Now it works. Had some problems to get the wifi to work and some sound issues still but at least I can log in. Thank you very much.

(The firmware on the stick sounds convenient. I could not find it in the aptosid manual)

bluewaterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 15.03.2012, 08:16
Team Member

http://manual.aptosid.com/en/nf-firm-en.htm#fw-detect

non-free firmware debs on a stick

Should you need to prefetch firmware .debs, to put on a usb-key to transfer the files to another computer, you can download them blah blah blah

Regards
Trevor

Jump to: