View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
muchan
Post subject: [SOLVED] "nv" driver will be removed with new Xorg  PostPosted: 09.02.2011, 13:45

(Intentionally creating new thread, not on one about broken d-u with Xorg.)

New Xorg, when successfully installed, will remove the "nv" driver for nVidia card.
It was long deplecated by nVidia company's support, but now completely deplicated from Debian sid.

So.. if you have been using "nv", you need to chose "noveau" or non-free "nvidia" driver.
I attemped to try "nouveau" before updating Xorg, but I failed.
(I use generic monitor, and it is not recognized. getting
"Screen not found" error.)
So I installed "nvidia" on my amd64 system with nVidia card.

There is a non-free solution, but I feel bad, I could be without non-free drivers more than a year...

Last edited by muchan on 10.02.2011, 08:40; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
towoOnline!
Post subject: RE: "nv" driver will be removed with new Xorg  PostPosted: 09.02.2011, 14:11

You can't use nouveau without the corresponding kernel-module nouveau. But nouveau is not in the kernel of aptosid.
Now you have 3 choices:

1st, using binary blob
2nd rebuld xserver-xorg-video-nv against the new xserver
3rd using xserver-xorg-video-vesa from experimental

a, maybe not working, choice would be rebuild the kernel with nouveau enabled and hoping userspace drm is compatible with the kernel-drm.

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: RE: "nv" driver will be removed with new Xorg  PostPosted: 09.02.2011, 14:19

I'm sure someone might consider an unofficial build of nv for those with old nVidia cards who cannot even use nouveau or the binary blob. I might attempt to build nv myself for one old machine with a TNT2 card. Where can I find instructions how to do that?

Hopefully nouveau will support those really old nvidia cards

muchan
Post subject: RE: "nv" driver will be removed with new Xorg  PostPosted: 09.02.2011, 14:28

thanks towo for more informations.
I was not reading anything about nouveau when I was satisfied with "nv"...

I tried the 3rd, but in limited time I couldn't start X with vesa on this system...
for now, I stick to 1st one.

belzeOffline
Post subject: RE: "nv" driver will be removed with new Xorg  PostPosted: 09.02.2011, 15:02

+1 for older nv cards!

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: RE: "nv" driver will be removed with new Xorg  PostPosted: 09.02.2011, 15:27

I know there are cards out there that are no longer even supported by the legacy nvidia blobs so that option's out for many people

towoOnline!
Post subject: RE: "nv" driver will be removed with new Xorg  PostPosted: 09.02.2011, 15:40

I have uploaded a xsever 1.9.x compatible version of xserver-xorg-video-nv to frickelplatz.
Feel free, to use it.

broweOffline
Post subject: RE: "nv" driver will be removed with new Xorg  PostPosted: 09.02.2011, 16:07

I have an old machine that uses onboard Geforce2 that I'm using as a media server. It works well with nv, it stutters a bit but can run glxgears and flash if needed. For it's purpose it functions well enough and I'd hate to loose that functionality. I'm going to put 'nv' on hold until we get a better soloution and I'll post if that breaks anything. For the time being I guess we can still get source and deb from stable.

muchan
Post subject: Re: RE: "nv" driver will be removed with new Xorg  PostPosted: 10.02.2011, 08:40

towo wrote:
I have uploaded a xsever 1.9.x compatible version of xserver-xorg-video-nv to frickelplatz.
Feel free, to use it.

thank you very much towo.

I removed nvidia binary driver.
Also, took time to try until vesa works...
for now I have two choices, of using "nv" from frickel, or using "vesa".
For my old 1280x1024 monitor using in 2D mode, they are both enough good.
Mark the thread as solved.

elzorroOffline
Post subject: [SOLVED] "nv" driver will be removed with new Xorg  PostPosted: 10.02.2011, 11:24

So no more nvidia-glx or nvidia kernel
sounds lousy.
I think I'll leave aptosid with the experimental nvidia as of old I installed, at least that works and looks good.
I don't think new xorg deserves installation from what is said here it is not good news at all!

Disappointed
El Zorro

towoOnline!
Post subject: RE: [SOLVED] "nv" driver will be removed with new  PostPosted: 10.02.2011, 11:30

elzorro you talking FUD!

devilOffline
Post subject: RE: [SOLVED] "nv" driver will be removed with new  PostPosted: 10.02.2011, 12:35

big time

muchan
Post subject: RE: [SOLVED] "nv" driver will be removed with new  PostPosted: 10.02.2011, 13:17

elzorro has surely misunderstood something.

I removed nvidia binary driver from my aptosid system.
(because I hate to wait non-free thingy compile while booting up)
I'm not removing anything from repository (I don't have any)

SordonOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: [SOLVED] "nv" driver will be removed with  PostPosted: 10.02.2011, 14:19

muchan wrote:
... because I hate to wait non-free thingy compile while booting up ...
Why is this such a big deal? It does this only when a new kernel is installed. In case it does it every time you boot then there must be something wrong (I'm using the binary driver myself).

quatro_por_quatroOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: [SOLVED] "nv" driver will be removed w  PostPosted: 10.02.2011, 14:44

the actual version of nouveau works well, my computer runs a custom kernel with nouveau enabled; previous versions have some problems playing video with nvidia GeForce 8400 GS, now have been solved.

My personal trick to deal with nvidia and nouveau modules is blacklist both in /etc/modprobe.d/00local, and specify the desired driver in Xorg.conf; this one will be loaded when xorg starts, even if blacklisted.

This URL contains a Debian source package for nvidia driver that works with this version of Xorg; if you want to compile it:

http://livenet.selfip.com/ftp/debian/nv ... t2.tar.bz2

Also, here is the kernel source, nouveau enabled and some custom patches included:

http://livenet.selfip.com/ftp/debian/li ... 14.tar.bz2

Jump to: